Myasthenia Gravis is a muscle – related condition that can enormously affect the patient’s ability to maintain his oral health. This is because, the fact that the patient normally has weak face muscle, making it tough for them to make the needed movements while brushing one’s own teeth.
It is a type of autoimmune disorder, a neuromuscular disease that usually results in weak muscles and fatigue in the face. This can make the muscle to get tired and weakened more swiftly than what is normal.
Muscle control is then enhanced after taking rest, which is partly one of the reason why patients who suffer from Myasthenia Gravis is not diagnosed because they might tend to disregard the symptoms as just a condition of fatigue.
This is usually manifested when a person who is suffering from his disorder tries to eat. Within a short time period of chewing and swallowing, the muscle tends to weaken and get tired, making it tough or even impossible to complete the meal. Often, a few minutes of rest can restore the condition and the person can finish off the meal quickly.
This is also a case wherein the patient suffering from Myasthenia Gravis loses the control of facial muscle while flossing or brushing the teeth. This makes it harder for them to continue brushing, and as such might just prefer not to do with it. This can end up to a very poor dental health and later on will craft the way for further worse dental conditions like halitosis, gingivitis and tooth decay.
If a patient with Myasthenia Gravis has difficulties brushing, they can alleviate the condition using a electric toothbrush. It might require less muscle control from the patient while still offering the right brushing strokes to maintain good dental hygiene.
Another facial muscle that can largely suffer from this condition are the muscle that controls the tongue movement. When these muscles get tired or fatigued easily, it makes it tough for the patients swallow the food. This can also be hard in taking due to the lessened control of the tongue.
Patients might also face hard time keeping their dentures in place because of the weakened state of their facial muscles especially on the mouth. It might also be caused by poor denture fitting due to the weakened muscles.
As with this kind of neuron – related disorder, a person with Myasthenia Gravis might even need an assistance of a caregiver to guide him and manage his overall dental hygiene. This might be essential for those whose condition has begun to worsen with more regular occurrence of facial muscle fatigue.
A family member might also help the patient to brush the teeth and other necessary dental hygiene technique, but a caregiver is preferred more, as he or she is trained professionally to assist with such disorders.
Causes of Myasthenia Gravis
As mentioned, it is an autoimmune condition that affects muscle weakness and muscle fatigue. Antibodies that fight this condition goes wrong and attacks the brain movement with communication system which makes the patient feel weak.
Symptoms of Myasthenia Gravis
The symptoms of this gravely condition includes;
- Droopy eyelids coupled with double vision.
- Tired and weak legs, neck and arms
- The muscle weakens when they smile, talk or chew
- Untreated condition can end up to difficulties in breathing and swallowing
- Talking for a long time period becomes difficult
Myasthenia Gravis is diagnosed by taking blood tests to detect the antibodies. You will also be offered a test known as electromyography (EMG) to find out the muscle activity and a scan in the chest to analyze the shape of the thymus gland.
Treatment and Side Effects
The Myasthenia Gravis treatment option includes;
- Pyridostigmine – an enzyme blocking drug. Possible side effect includes, digestive issues and stomach cramps.
- Steroids and immunosuppressants – includes steroids and immune suppressing drugs and mostly used by patients suffering from Myasthenia Gravis.
- Azathioprine – Can lessen the antibody production, but have to take at least for a year. And the side effects like liver damage, allergies or myelotoxicity.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Myasthenia Gravis
Ayurveda includes three kinds of energies – Vata, Pitta and Kapha which is highly responsible for health. The imbalance of this tri – energies might result in health complication. In Ayurveda Myasthenia Gravis is caused because of the vitiation of Vata Dosha which lowers the neuromuscular activity.
The treatment includes combination of herbal medicines which does not cause any side effects. It pumps of natural treatment and reverses any disease condition.
- Ashwagandha Capsules
This natural herb can maintain the overall health of the well being and offers immunity and body strength. It also nourished the brain to work sharper and quicker and relieves the symptoms of Myasthenia Gravis.
- Brahmi Capsules
An effective herb that can nourish the brain and maintain coordination between the nervous system and daily activity. Also helps with mood disorders and relieves stress, anxiety and mental fatigue.
- Yograj Guggul
Includes plenty of herbs and can cure muscle related problems like joint swelling and chronic pains.
Diet for Myasthenia Gravis
- Try to avoid solid and chewable foods try soups, broth and fish and chicken. Do not prefer tougher meats.
- Avoid biscuits and rice
- Say no to bread products
- Includes several meals per day
- Mince meat finely if you prefer to take it
- Eat balanced diet that provides powerhouse to your muscles
- Eat food which is low in cholesterol and saturated fats.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Includes plenty of veggies, grain and fruits in your diet in the form of puree.
- Never consume carbonated drinks, tobacco or alcohol.
- Do not take spicy food and
- Avoid food that needs more chewing
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Do not take crumbly food
- Eat a range of colors to make sure you have the complete range of beneficial nutrients
- Include bananas and potassium rich foods.