Kidneys are essential for our life. Healthy kidneys are accountable for so many crucial functions in our body, which comprises eliminating toxins, wastes out from the blood, filtering blood. It helps to maintain the appropriate blood pressure, manage water reabsorption, control the acidity in the body, and keep the level of electrolytes balanced.
But due to various reason there is abnormality in kidney function i.e. Kidney becomes diseased, where kidneys are damaged and not able to filter blood like they should. This damage can lead to build up of wastes in the body, along with causing other problems that can harm your health.
Causes of Kidney Problem
- Chronic Kidney Disease- which occurs gradually over many years, usually caused by high blood pressure and Diabetes.
- Acute renal disease means the kidneys have failed suddenly, cause may be a toxin (a drug allergy or poison) or severe blood loss or trauma.
- Kidney Stones- where some minerals and other constituents crystallize in the kidneys, develop into solid masses (stones).
- Glomerulonephritis (inflammation of the kidneys), which might happen due to infections, drugs, or congenital abnormalities, autoimmune reaction.
- History of acute kidney injury
- Family history of kidney failure.
Ayurvedic View of Kidney Disease
Kidney disease develops because of mutravaha srotas which are body channel related to the urinary system of the body and its normal functioning. The damage to the tissues occurs due to imbalance in the three doshas (Air, Fire and Ether/ Vata, Pitta and Kapha) primarily the vitiation in Vata element and the raised Kapha element which results in blockage of various channels of the Mutra vaha srotasa leading to impaired functioning of the kidneys.
Symptoms of Possible Kidney Problems
- Change in frequency of micturition, which decreases or increases
- Urgent need to urinate
- Urine might be accompanied by blood or difficulty during urinating
- Pain develop in back.
- Fatigue in the body due to alteration in hormones.
- Swelling in legs, hands, feet, or ankles arises or Puffy eyes
- Hypertension, hypophosphatemia and hypocalcaemia might result.
- Skin problems leading to epidermal rashes or itching.
- Nausea and/or vomiting or loss of appetite or Bloating
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Shortness of breath due to extra fluid in the lungs
Seven Herbs to Repair Kidney Damage Naturally
There are several herbs that possesses medicinal properties that provide healing effects to kidneys to function it in healthy condition. The symptoms appearing in kidney failure can be improved with the help of below given herbs, effective at boosting renal health.
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa):
Punarnava very efficient herb for healing kidney disease. It comprises diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties. Its diuretic action is useful in removing excess water from the body, thereby eliminating extra waste, helping to revive the kidneys. It stimulates micturition and provides relief from painful micturition. It is herbal remedy for fluid retention, reducing swelling and inflammation. A natural way to manage the kidney failure, helps in regulating the creatinine level. It is a good substitute to avoid dialysis.
- Varun (Crataeva nurvala):
Varun is an effective herb for kidney disease, provides excellent care to kidney, as it possesses diuretic, anti-inflammatory properties. It promotes the breakdown of renal stones. It is very effective to eliminate excess accumulated fluid from body, hence reduces swelling in case of kidney failure. It can also relieve obstruction in urinary tract.
- Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris):
Gokshur is a remarkable diuretic herbal tonic to heal kidney disease. It has ability to provide strength to the kidney cells and promotes their regeneration. It is also helpful to prevent dialysis. It brings reduction in kidney discomforts. It is helpful in to remove stones.
- Shirish (Albezzia lebbok):
Shirish is very useful herb in case of kidney related problems. It is anti-inflammatory in action, promotes reduction of kidney inflammation and helps to eliminate the accumulated toxins out from the body.
- Kaasni (Cichorium intybus):
Kasani is effective herb to get good results in kidney disease. It is good alkaliser and provide strength to the kidneys, supports to reduce kidney inflammations. It is one of the natural remedy for acute and chronic kidney failure. It has quiet effective results in conditions such as Nephrotic syndrome, nephritis and other conditions leading to kidney failure
- Bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri):
Bhumi amla, potent herb with medicinal properties of being diuretic, anti-oxidant that makes it a useful herb in healing kidney problems. It is able to a remove too many toxins out of the body as well reduces the edema.
- Echinacea, Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata):
Echinacea efficient herb that is very supportive in kidney issues. It comprises ability to removes various toxins like urea, uric acid, creatinine, high cholesterol from the blood and improves the functions of kidneys.