Due to faulty lifestyle and wrong eating habits, the numbers of patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis are increasing day by day.
According to Ayurveda, the main cause of Rheumatoid arthritis is the impaired digestion which leads to the formation of endo-toxins in the body. Endo-toxins are generally produced due to the malfunctioning of the digestive system which blocks the channels. Another cause of RA is the depleted immunity in which the body’s immune system creates anti-bodies without the presence of foreign bodies. There are various herbs available for rheumatoid arthritis.
Check also: Natural Remedies for Osteoarthritis That Work
You are Suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis if You have
- Morning stiffness in the joints which lasts for more than 1 hour.
- Swelling in hands, wrist or fingers.
- Stiffness around three or more joints at the same time.
Painkillers or other corticosteroids are prescribed for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. These drugs give instant relief but there are a lot of side-effects of these drugs like diabetes, heart disease, weight gain, cataract etc. Interest in traditional system of medicine like Ayurveda is renewed and growing exponentially due to the adverse drug reactions and economic burden associated with modern system of medicine. So, the best option is to treat rheumatoid arthritis naturally.
Herbs for Rheumatoid Arthritis are
1. Ginger: Ginger has been used since ages. It is widely used in Indian kitchens. It is considered as an anti-inflammatory agent. 2-3 slices of fresh ginger can be consumed before taking food. It also prevents the formation of Ama (toxins) in the body by strengthening the digestive fire as well as by secreting enzymes which help in digestion. It is considered as an appetiser, improves digestion strength and useful in Vata and Kapha disorders. It is also useful in pain associated with arthritis.
2. Turmeric (Curcuma longa): Curcumin is the main active ingredient of this herb which exhibits anti-oxidant properties. It has been observed that there is a significant improvement in morning stiffness, walking time and joint swelling have been reduced in patients after the consumption of turmeric. It has the same anti-arthritis activity as phenylbutazone. 1 teaspoon of turmeric with hot milk can be taken once a day.
3. Haritaki (Terminalia chebula): It is the best remedy for rheumatoid arthritis. Take 5 ml castor oil, 5 grams powder of Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) and half cup warm water. Make fine powder of haritaki with castor oil and consume with warm water once a day. This remedy will improve digestion strength of the patient as well as helps in clearing the Ama. Haritaki is very beneficial in treating ama as well as it has rejuvenating properties.
4. Fasting: Absolute or liquid diet or semi-solid diet for a day depending on the strength of an individual plays a key role in digesting Ama.
5. Hot Fomentation: Application of moist heat can be done by soaking cloth in warm water and by giving a compress over the affected part or steam bath is also beneficial in rheumatoid arthritis.
6. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha provides strength to the muscles and joints. It has anti-inflammatory, immuno-modulatory and anti-stress properties which help in improving physical function and joint pain in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Take 1 teaspoon of ashwagandha powder with hot milk once a day.
7. Garlic: Garlic has been used in Ayurveda since ages. It is also widely used in Indian kitchens. It relieves the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis markedly. It has been found in studies that garlic relieves the pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis due to its effect on prostaglandins that help to control inflammation.
8. Dry ginger and Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia): Take 3 gm giloy powder and 1 gm dry ginger powder with warm water at night.
9. Castor Oil: take 10-15 ml of castor oil with warm water or milk at night before going to bed.
Diet and Lifestyle: Avoid cold beverages, curd, dairy products, frozen foods, refrigerated food, fermented foods and exposure to cold breeze.
Avoid foods that cause constipation like – bread, fast foods etc.
Avoid sleeping in the afternoon.
Include ginger, garlic, turmeric, cumin, long pepper, asafoetida sufficiently in cooking and include easily digestible foods in the diet. These herbs help in correcting body metabolism by activating the digestive fire and also helpful in removing endo-toxins.