In this article we will discuss that how you can use cauliflowers for detoxification and major health benefits it has to offer.
Cauliflower is one vegetable that has equal number of lovers and haters. It belongs to the cruciferous veggie family that has other members like bokchoy, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and broccoli.
While most of us vouch for the health benefits offered by broccoli, few are aware of the amazing cleansing and detoxifying abilities of cauliflower.
This article includes a discussion on prominent health benefits of cauliflower. In addition, it also features some mouthwatering detox recipes prepared using the veggie.
- 1 Cauliflower Health Benefits
- 2 Cauliflowers for Detoxification: 2 Recipes
Cauliflower Health Benefits
Contains Essential Nutrients
Cauliflower is a rich source of protein, fiber (a large part of carbs present in the veggie is fiber), sodium, and several other essential nutrients.
It is a low-calorie food option but is highly filling. This makes it a great food choice for people looking to lose weight.
Aids Cancer Prevention
The vegetable contains a compound known as Indole-3-Carbinol.
Several studies have confirmed that Indole-3-Carbinol promotes hormone metabolism and thereby plays a crucial role in prevention of certain cancer types. Examples of hormone-dependent cancer includes breast cancer, ovarian cancer, testicular cancer, etc.
Boasts Digestive Benefits
Water and fiber content of cauliflower is significantly high. This makes the veggie a great remedy for constipation.
Cauliflower helps in keeping our digestive tract healthy and reduces our chances of developing colon cancer.
Possesses Anti-inflammatory Properties
As a result of being a rich source of vitamin K, cauliflower is instrumental in fighting and eliminating inflammation from human body.
Like all other cruciferous veggies, this one also supports detox pathways of our liver. This is why it is good to eat cauliflowers for detoxification.
Cauliflowers for Detoxification: 2 Recipes
Cauliflower can be enjoyed in various ways, simmered, gently steamed, and even raw.
You can prepare and bake this healthy and tasty veggie to form a yummy pizza base. People following a ketogenic diet often consume cauliflower rice with their favorite curry to keep their daily carb intake in check.
The section below would introduce you to a few delicious detox recipes that have cauliflower as their main ingredient.
Recipe #1: Cauliflower Detox Salad
- Chopped cauliflower (1 cup)
- Chopped broccoli (1 cup)
- Roughly chopped red cabbage (1 cup)
- Roughly chopped cabbage (1 cup)
- A handful of flatleaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons of organic raisins
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- Lemon vinaigrette (you should prepare it at home)
Begin by preparing the lemon vinaigrette. Store-bought vinaigrettes are filled with preservatives and additives and will spoil the detox properties of your salad.
Here are the steps you will have to follow:
1) Take a mason jar and pour 250 ml olive oil into it.
2) Add half a cup of lemon juice, ¼ cup freshly grated ginger, 3 tablespoons of clover honey, and a teaspoon of sea salt to the oil.
3) Seal the mason jar with its lid and shake it.
4) Allow the ingredients to blend well with each other.Your lemon vinaigrette is now ready for use.
Now move to the next step i.e. prepare the salad –
1) Rinse the chopped veggies, nuts, seeds, and raisins well under cold water.
2) Pat them dry and put them in a large bowl.
3) Drizzle enough lemon vinaigrette (the quantity would depend on your taste).
4) Toss well so that all the ingredients get nicely coated with the vinaigrette. Your cauliflower detox salad is now ready to be served.
Recipe #2: Cauliflower Detox Rice
- 1 cauliflower head
- Medium sized 2 red onion
- Red or yellow bell peppers (2 medium sized)
- Medium sized 2 to 3 Carrots
- 2 stalks of scallions (this is optional)
- Unsalted and unroasted almond (2 oz)
- Hemp seeds (2 oz)
- 2 small cayenne peppers (this is optional)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin and raw coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 oz of nutritional unfortified yeast
- Himalayan pink salt
1) Cut your cauliflower into medium sized florets and remove their stem.
2) Now take your grater and grate each cauliflower floret. The grains of grated cauliflower would look exactly like rice grains.
The job can be done both by using a box grater and a food processor. Just make sure that the box grater you are using has medium sized holes.
3) Remove the excess moisture from the grated veggies by pressing them with paper towels.
4) Next, chop the bell peppers, carrots, garlic, onion, and scallions.
5) Place a cast iron wok or skillet on medium to high heat and pour coconut oil into it.
6) Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and onions into it. Sauté them until they become light brown in color. This should take around two to three minutes.
7) Now, add the cauliflower. Mix the grated cauliflower with the sautéed garlic and onions for another three minutes.
8) Add all the remaining vegetables and mix again.
9) Put the chili powder, Himalayan pink salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
10) Keep frying the ingredients until the liquids get entirely absorbed and the cauliflower rice reaches your desired consistency. Don’t end up overcooking the cauliflower as it will make the dish dry and less tasty.
11) Remove the cauliflower rice from heat and serve after mixing in some nutritional yeast, almonds, and hemp seeds.
The Bottom Line
Other than being gorgeous to look at and exceptionally yummy, the above immune boosting food items are filled with beneficial phytochemicals and nutrients.
These phytochemicals and nutrients would stimulate your liver enzymes to convert harmful toxins into components that can be eliminated easily from your body.
Making these detox foods a part of our meal plan would ensure that our body undergoes thorough cleansing on a regular basis. This, in turn, would make our immune system stronger and allow us to fight off infections more easily.
Regular detoxification is crucial for maintaining balance of our tissues and organs. There are few better ways of doing that than having some sumptuous food items like the ones mentioned above.
In brief, this is how you can use Cauliflowers for detoxification by trying different recipes.