If there is the presence of small as well as a thick and hard patch on your foot skin or else your skin is too sensitive for you to touch, then you may be suffering from the foot corns. It again causes pain at the time of wearing your sandal or shoes which is stiff very near to the area of foot finger.
So, these are possibly the symptoms of foot corns. These corns are generally hardened and also thick layers that are caused on the skin. So, it mainly occurs due to extreme pressure on your feet area. This is developed on your feet, toenail bed, between as well as sides of toe fingers or on your fingers as well as hands.
The corns affect almost every age group of both men and also women. It may be generally due to the presence of less fatty tissues that are considered to be the main reason for the skin elasticity. Also, it is present in those people who need standing for long time periods.
Again, these foot corns are known to be painful. But, it can be reduced by itself when you consider the reduction of the external pressure specifically on the feet corn.
So, this particular article will let you know about some of the tested and best home remedies which help in order to get relieved from the foot corns.
- 1 Best 21 Home Remedies For Corns on Feet
- 1.1 1. Pumice Soap
- 1.2 2. Lemon + Cloves
- 1.3 3. White Vinegar
- 1.4 4. Raw Papaya
- 1.5 5. Garlic
- 1.6 6. Banana Peel
- 1.7 7. Castor Oil
- 1.8 8. Licorice Roots and Mustard Oil
- 1.9 9. Onion
- 1.10 10. The Paste Of Phyllantus Fraternus Leaves
- 1.11 11. Massage With The Help Of Crushed Jasmine Leaves
- 1.12 12. Baking Soda
- 1.13 13. Turpentine Oil
- 1.14 14. Turmeric
- 1.15 15. Vitamin E
- 1.16 16. Pineapple Peel
- 1.17 17. Aspirin
- 1.18 18. Bread
- 1.19 19. Lemon
- 1.20 20. Oatmeal Soak
- 1.21 21. Some Additional Remedies
- 2 Major Foot Corn Causes
- 3 What Are Some Of The Risk Factors For Corns?
- 4 Symptoms Of Corn
- 5 How Can You Prevent Foot Corns?
- 6 When To Consider Visiting A Doctor?
- 7 FAQs
Best 21 Home Remedies For Corns on Feet
The foot corns are mainly observed on the feet that are again small circular in terms of structure. Also, this particular skin turns thickened and hard whenever it gets affected by friction or pressure. So, these are mostly observed between the toes, on feet sole and also on the tops as well as sides of the toes.
People who suffer from warts, bunions as well as hammertoes on their feet usually get affected by these corns rather than any other people. On the other hand, people who are suffering from diabetes. It also applies to those people whose blood flow is not good specifically at the feet bottom. They are most prone to corns.
You will get relief from the corns just by avoiding or reducing the particular sources that cause friction to the feet. For the treatment of corns, you can again find the availability of caps, lotions and also antibiotics.
So, instead of making use of antibiotics, all that you need is to start following the below given effective and tested home remedies for corns on toes.
1. Pumice Soap
Pumice stone is known to be one of the best home remedies for foot corn. In case you make use of the pumice stone, the hardened, as well as dead skin that is present on the feet, can be specifically removed.
Basically, it helps to reduce the corn’s size and so, it gives relief from both the pain along with the pressure that the cause of the corn. Therefore, this simple method helps to effectively cure the corns overnight.
How To Make Use Of This?
- First of all, you need to soak the feet in a tub containing hot water which helps to make the hard area of your foot soft. After that, you should gently make use of the pumice stone to rub the hard part of your foot for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then, you can make use of castor oil; all that you need is to dip a cotton ball in the castor oil. After that, you can either apply this on the affected area or else, attach the particular cotton ball with the help of a tape overnight on the foot corn.
- In the morning time, consider removing the particular tape and then, apply a small amount of castor oil at that area specifically on a daily basis whenever your feet feel dry.
- A similar step is needed to be repeated until you get relief from the foot corn.
2. Lemon + Cloves
The combination of both lemon and cloves is specifically known to be the best home remedies for corns on feet. These are again readily available to your nearby store. Both, the citric as well as acidic lemon properties have the particular capacity to soften the hard skin which is formed by the corns. As a result, the corns generally get reduced a bit quick.
What Is The Best Way To Make Use Of This Particular Home Remedies For Corns?
- First of all, you need to take some amount of lemon juice and after that, consider applying it on the corn. Then, you should let that particular area to get dried.
- The next step is to preferably soak the cloves in the juice of a lemon and then, it is needed to be applied to the corns.
- Now, this step is needed to be repeated 3 to 4 times regularly. Also, this particular process works to remove the corns gradually.
3. White Vinegar
It is considered to be the best and most effective natural remedies for corns. Also, it generally possesses anti-fungal, acidic as well as anti-bacterial properties that help to kill the infection, fungus and thereby, it contributes to making the harder area much softer. This particular treatment of foot corn is mostly performed at home.
How To Make Use Of This Vinegar To Remove Corns?
- First of all, you need to mix white vinegar and water and then, consider soaking your feet in that water for around 20 to 30 minutes. Also, it possesses the ability to perfectly deal with almost every problem of the foot.
- Just after that, by making use of the cotton ball, you need to dip this in the vinegar solution. Next, you need to place that particular cotton on the corn and lastly, cover that with the help of a tape for a minimum of 4 to 5 hours.
- This final step is needed to be repeated for a few weeks.
4. Raw Papaya
You will get relief from the discomfort and pain that are caused by corns with the help of raw papaya. It has preferably the capacity to remove the hardened skin part which is present on the foot. Both the raw papaya and also ripe papaya possess a lot of the essential nutrients which help to treat corns.
Again, there is the presence of enzymes in raw papaya which has the possibility to remove the hard and dead skin.
Some of the medicinal properties included in the raw papaya are potassium, Vitamin K, calcium, beta-carotene, B vitamin and also lutein.
In case you are suffering from the problems that are related to skin rashes, you should avoid this. This is because it can possibly increase the rashes.
How To Make Use Of This?
- First of all, you need to take some pieces and then, prepare juice out of it.
- Then, you should take a small cotton ball and dip the cotton in the specific juice. After that, you need to apply this to the affected areas i.e. on the corn.
- After that, consider placing the cotton and then, you need to tie that with the help of a band. Also, keep this on the corn overnight.
- This particular step is needed to be repeated until you find some relief.
We all know that there is the presence of antioxidant properties in garlic which possibly helps to fight against the fungal as well as bacterial infections caused by the corns.
Apart from that, it also possesses healing properties that help to treat warts and corns. But, you need to avoid applying garlic in case you have any burns on the skin. This is because irritation can be increased by it.
How To Consider Using This?
- First of all, you need to take one garlic clove. All that you need is to make two pieces out of this clove.
- Then, take one specific clove piece and rub it onto the affected area just before going to the bed. Finally, allow that to dry.
- Later on, you need to tie that particular clove piece overnight with the help of Band-Aid.
- Next morning, consider removing the Band-Aid and then, rinse it with the help of warm water. This step is needed to be repeated until you find relief.
6. Banana Peel
In case your body lacks potassium, then you will be possibly affected by corn. Again, all the required nutrient properties are present in banana peel such as potassium, salicylic acid as well as lutein that is an anti-oxidant. So, it is mainly considered to be an efficient home remedy that helps to recover the foot corns.
In order to achieve better results, you should try using a healthy and raw banana peel. But, in case you are allergic to latex, consider avoiding this remedy as it specifically leads to dermatitis, crusty skin lesions as well as itchy skin.
How To Make Use Of This?
- Firstly, you need to peel a banana and then, just make a round ball of the inside white peel. Just after that, this is needed to be applied to the corn.
- Then, you should cover that with the help of bandages, plaster or wound care specifically overnight.
- Apart from that, to the while peel, you can again add about 2 drops of tea tree oil and finally, apply that particular solution on the foot corns.
7. Castor Oil
The castor oil generally acts just like a skin moisturizer. So, the corns get recovered much easily as this particular oil is very rich in its fatty acids content. Along with that, it also softens the corns by penetrating deep into the skin.
There are no possible side effects of this castor oil but due to the stickiness of this particular oil, you may feel some amount of discomfort.
How To Consider Using This Castor Oil For Foot Corns?
- First of all, you need to apply this oil specifically to the corns with the help of a cotton ball. Then, it is needed to cover it with a tape overnight.
- Again, this particular step is needed to be repeated 2 to 3 times per day until your feet feel soft.
8. Licorice Roots and Mustard Oil
The root of licorice is known to be very useful in many of the ayurvedic methods as a common herb. Again, it is mostly used to treat various disorders. This root possesses natural properties related to skin-softening. So, you need to mix this specific herb powder with the help of any essential oil such as sesame oil or mustard oil. This can provide you much relief from the corns.
But, you should not consume this particular remedy. Instead, it should be used for most external applications. But, in case you are facing problems related to skin rashes, then the problem will be increased by making use of mustard oil.
How To Make Use Of This Particular Home Remedy?
- First of all, you need to consider making a paste with the help of mustard oil as well as licorice root powder.
- Then, this particular paste is needed to be applied to the corn. Just after that, you should tie a cover or cloth with the help of a bandage overnight.
- Again, you should remove the particular bandage the following day and rinse it with the help of warm water.
- The final step is to repeat a similar procedure until there is a reduction in the corn size.
There is the presence of many natural anti-bacterial components in onion. So, it works by killing the microbes which are involved in causing a skin infection. Along with that, it mostly contains sulfur-like properties that will tear off dead and old skin. Further on, it will contribute to reducing the chronic infection of the skin.
Please avoid this particular home remedies in case you have skin rashes or you are allergic. This is because it can lead to itchy and red rashes.
What Is The Best Way To Use It?
- First of all, you need to cut a small onion piece and then, place that piece on the corn.
- Just after that, you should cover that particular piece with the help of a bandage or cloth overnight.
- A similar step is needed to be repeated until you feel relief from the corns.
10. The Paste Of Phyllantus Fraternus Leaves
In your garden, you will possibly find the availability of most of these plants as waste plants. This particular plant works efficiently for wound ulcers, sores as well as bruises.
It again is proved to be very effective in reducing the dead skin cell growth as lignans and potential R-Nase H inhibition by the leaves. Due to the anti-fungal as well as anti-bacterial properties, it helps to give relief to the corns.
But, you should not consume this particular paste raw and this should be only used for the external application.
How To Consider Using This?
- First of all, you need to make a paste of these specific leaves and then, consider applying it on the foot corns.
- A similar step is needed to be repeated until you get results.
- Again, consider massaging with this particular paste on the foot corns.
11. Massage With The Help Of Crushed Jasmine Leaves
The corns can be effectively removed with the help of crushed jasmine leaves. This is because; it can make the hard skin tender.
But, you need to avoid this particular remedy in case you are suffering from a headache as the jasmine smell will possibly increase the pain.
What Is The Best Way To Use?
- First of all, you need to make some amount of juice with the help of jasmine leaves. After that, apply this specific paste and then, massage on to the area where there is the presence of foot corn.
- Finally, a similar process is needed to be repeated until you find some relief.
12. Baking Soda
It is also known to be an efficient home remedy for foot corns. This will mainly work by the removal of dead skin which is covered on corn. So, it acts as a natural exfoliating agent. You are kept away from all other infections as there is the presence of anti-fungal as well as anti-bacterial properties in the baking soda.
How To Consider Using This?
- First of all, you need to consider mixing 2 to 3 spoons of the baking soda in the warm water. Just after that, you need to soak your feet in the water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, you need to make use of pumice stone in order to remove all the dead skin.
- You can also make one more effective remedy with the baking soda. For this, you need to mix a tablespoon of lemon juice, baking soda along with water in order to prepare a paste of the mixture.
- Just after that, you need to consider applying this particular paste on the corn and after that, cover it with the help of a cloth and leave it overnight.
- The next day, you should take out that cloth and then wash that particular area and finally, remove the dead skin with the help of this stone.
- This step is needed to be repeated until you see some improvement in the affected area.
13. Turpentine Oil
Turpentine oil preferably is able to go under the skin fast. So, it can reduce the corn soon. Along with that, it also possesses antiseptic properties which will essentially provide relief from the corns.
What Is Preferably The Best Way To Use It?
- The first step is to mix extra virgin coconut oil; camphor oil as well as turpentine oil altogether. Just make a paste out of it. Now, you need to soak your feet in this water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After that, allow your feet to dry for a minute or two and then, consider applying this specific paste on the foot corn. You need to apply this paste on an everyday basis until it is cured.
- Also, take some ice cubes in a particular cloth wrap and after that, massage that specific foot corn area. Later on, consider applying this oil. Lastly, allow it to stay for the whole night.
- This step is needed to be repeated before going to bed on an everyday basis.
It is known to be the best remedy which is easily available in your kitchen. Also, it helps to reduce the pain along with the discomfort that is caused by the corns. Along with that, there is the presence of anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric.
How To Make Use Of This?
- Firstly, you are required to make a smooth paste of honey and also turmeric powder. After that, consider applying this paste on the foot corn and then, leave this paste for drying. A similar process is needed to be repeated 2 to 3 times a day.
- The next step is to mix the turmeric powder along with the aloe vera paste altogether and then, apply this particular paste on the affected area and let it stay the whole night.
- Later on, you should consider rinsing your feet with the help of warm water. Next, rub your feet with the help of pumice stone in order to completely remove the dead cells of the skin.
- A similar thing is needed to be repeated until you find relief from this.
15. Vitamin E
Natural antioxidants are known to be very beneficial for skin health. Also, this will remove the dead skin as well as boost the overall health of the skin.
What Is The Best Way To Use It?
- The first step is to take a particular vitamin E capsule. Then, apply this solution on the foot corn.
- Along with that, you need to consume only those foods which are rich in the Vitamin E content. It mostly includes squash, broccoli, hazelnuts and also sunflower seeds.
16. Pineapple Peel
The pineapple peel is known to be the most effective remedy for the corns. It works most efficiently in comparison to the flesh. This is because the peel mainly holds some of the enzymes which help to soften the hard skin of the corns.
How To Make Use Of This?
- First of all, you need to take the pineapple peel and keep this on the foot corn. After that, cover it with the help of a bandage the whole night.
- You need to take out the bandage the very next day and then, apply some amount of coconut oil to it.
- This step is needed to be repeated every night before going to bed.
Aspirin is mainly used for the treatment of headaches. Along with that, it helps in the treatment of foot corns. So, the acidic properties that are there in aspirin are much effective to remove corns.
In case you are having an allergy by using aspirin, then, avoid following this specific remedy.
What Is The Best Way To Use It?
- Firstly, take about 2 to 3 aspirin tablets and then add some amount of water to it. Thereby, make a paste out of it.
- This paste is needed to be applied to the corn with the help of cotton. Keep this overnight in order to achieve the best results out of it.
- The next day, you need to scrub the affected corn area with the help of pumice stone which will help in the complete removal of dead skin.
- Consider repeating the similar step until you get to observe the desired results.
The softening of the corn will be greatly helped when the bread is soaked in white vinegar. This specifically helps to remove the foot corn.
How To Make Use Of This?
- First of all, you need to soak the bread slice in the vinegar and preferably make a smooth paste out of it.
- Then, you need to apply this mixture to the foot corn. Allow it to stay the whole night.
- The same step is needed to be repeated for a week. Soon, it aids the removal of corn. So, this particular paste will gradually soften the corn.
For the treatment of corns, lemon is known to be one of the effective home remedies. So, this will work by gradually reducing the dead skin cells. Along with that, it also provides relief from the discomfort that is caused by the corns.
What Is The Best Way To Use It?
- First of all, you need to make small circular cuts of the lemon. After that, you need to keep that lemon slice on the corns. Allow it to dry the entire night with the help of a bandage.
- A similar process is needed to be repeated until the recovery or removal of the corn.
20. Oatmeal Soak
Oatmeal is known to be an outstanding natural remedy for the treatment of corns. This works more effectively as an exfoliating agent. It will possibly help in the skin-softening.
How To Make Use Of This ?
- First of all, you need to mix some amount of oats in water. Allow this to boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, consider the straining of the oats and then, apply that oat mixture on the corn.
- Allow it to stay for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it with the help of warm water.
- A similar process is needed to be repeated until you get the desired results.
21. Some Additional Remedies
- You can again consider soaking your legs in Epsom saltwater that will provide you much relief from the painful corns.
- Do not let the corn dry. This can be done by the application of moisturizers such as olive oil, coconut oil or cocoa butter whenever you experience the dryness.
- Apart from that, you can also make use of the corn pads or else protective covers which help to reduce the skin pressure.
- You always need to maintain good hygiene of the feet and consider washing them on a regular basis.
- Avoid cutting off the corns as it can possibly increase the pain. Sometimes, it may even lead to infections.
- Consider wearing only the properly fitted shoes in your feet.
- All that you need is to separate your toenails with the help of a cotton ball in case you get to see any corn in between your toenails. This will also contribute to reducing the pressure or friction which is mainly caused by the corns.
Major Foot Corn Causes
Generally, the corns are rough as well as round in shape. It becomes thickened because of the pressure that is caused by the skin. Again, pain is caused by these corns due to the deep growth which presses against a nerve.
Here are given the most important factors which are involved in causing corns:
- If you consider wearing shoes of the wrong size.
- When you consider wearing sandals or shoes that are fitted tightly and thereby it preferably causes more pressure.
- Whenever you start to wear shoes that are completely new from your regular style.
- Old age can specifically lead to the thinning of the skin. Along with that, it also decreases the fat tissues and thereby causing corns.
- In case you stand or walk or run for a very long period of time, it also leads to the foot corn formation.
- It is again caused because of foot-related problems such as hammertoes or bunions.
What Are Some Of The Risk Factors For Corns?
Corn is mainly caused by any certain situation which increases the pressure on the toes or fingers. Also, these are generally seen in those people who are above 65 years of age.
The Important Risk Factors Are:
- Specifically, a shoe with wrong fitting.
- In case the occupation of a person is farming and also gardening.
- Abnormality in the gait i.e. the specific way a person walks, toes or feet.
- Bunions: It is considered to be a bony bump that is formed specifically on the joint of the big toe. This particular problem can be mainly caused by wearing narrow and tight shoes.
Symptoms Of Corn
Corns mostly appear with many of the symptoms. Some of the symptoms include calluses which becomes much hard to discriminate between both.
So, you will preferably begin noticing the below-mentioned symptoms:
- You will possibly have flaky or dry skin.
- Also, the inside part of your toe will develop redness.
- Again, you will get to see the yellow skin that is mainly present on the top portion of your feet.
- The toe skin will become comparatively harder than normal.
- You will also feel intense pain in the foot at the time of standing or walking for a long period of time.
But these are not at all a life-threatening problem. But, discomfort can be caused by it due to its painful nature. Sometimes, the foot corn can be reduced on its own in case you maintain good food hygiene.
How Can You Prevent Foot Corns?
Here are given some of the important precautions that can you take in order to prevent corns:
- In order to avoid corn, you need to specifically take an exact measurement of your feet. After that, you are required to select the right size and kind of shoe.
- It is very important to at least have a one-inch gap from the front part of the shoe to your toe in your shoe.
- Also, you need to ensure that your fingers are easily moved inside your shoe.
- The socks too matter similar to the shoes. You are advised to use socks that are comfortable. Along with that, you should also try wearing padding socks.
- It is very important for you to reduce high heels usage. This is due to the fact that high heels can cause intense pressure to your foot and thereby, it can lead to the formation of corns.
- The corns can be formed due to the excess weight as weight provides intensive pressure on your toes along with feet. In this case, it is always suggested to lose excess weight.
- To avoid the formation of foot corn, you should always keep your feet moisturized and clean by making use of a pumice stone.
But, if the corns still occur on your fingers or toes, then you should opt for these particular home remedies so as to get rid of these corns.
When To Consider Visiting A Doctor?
You need to consider taking help from a doctor who is specialized in all foot-related conditions or Podiatrists in case you see the below-mentioned signs in your feet.
In case you have the basic knowledge related to the location as well as the appearance of the foot corns and so, you need to consider the below-given signs in order to prevent this from occurring.
- In case you experience pain at the time of standing or walking
- Specifically, the corns vary in terms of size from hard corns to soft corns. In the case of the corns which are present on your feet becomes thickened, at that time, you need to opt for diagnosis.
- Along with that, those who are aged, suffering from diabetes or in case they possess a poor blood circulation. Specifically, the people who are suffering from these illnesses have the maximum risk of developing foot corns.
A. What Are The Differences Between Callus And Corn?
Corns mainly occur on hairless and smooth skin which is present on the top or else the toes side. So, this may be either soft or hard.
Again, the soft corns are of rubber-like texture and are whitish in color. These are generally visible in between the toe fingers as well as on the sweaty and moist skin.
On the other hand, the hard corns are small and mostly occur on the firm and hardened skin i.e. in the bony part present on the foot. So, it occurs on either the top or the bottom side of the foot.
Often, the callus is visible on the feet, but, it is rarely caused on knees, elbows or hands. These are pale yellow in color. When compared with the corns, these are preferably wider in texture without the presence of any distinct edges.
Due to the pressure or some amount of friction that is caused on the feet, both of this callus and corns are thick, hardened and also painful.
But, again, both of these are not a dangerous problem. Often, these particular problems are observed in those people who wear tightly fitted shoes or those who have sweaty feet. It is also seen in the people who stand for a long period of time. So, these problems affect women largely when compared to men.
Callus Vs Corn
- The pain is caused by corns whenever you touch them but on the other hand, the callus is not at all painful.
- Specifically, corn is circular and small that occurs on the toenails as well as toenail beds whereas callus is larger in terms of structure. Again, it varies in shape.
- Without any doctor consultation, both callus and corn will get treated. Also, it took some precautions such as using some antibiotics or using pumice stones.
- There are circumstances where both the callus and also corn need medical attention.
B. Wart Vs Corn
In terms of appearance, both warts and also corns look similar. Also, these are caused in the same place. But, by considering some symptoms, it can be said that both wart and corn are the same. Sometimes, even it becomes difficult for doctors to differentiate between wart and corn.
- Specifically, corn can occur on the top part of the toes i.e. in between the toes area.
- Some of the times, the corn can be caused on the ball of the heel which is mainly located on the feet in rare cases.
- But, the wart mostly occurs below the thumb finger region i.e. on the balls of your feet as well as the heels.
- Also, warts can appear on the whole body than the feet. On the other hand, you will find corns only on the feet.
- The classification of warts occurs by both their location of the body as well as appearance.
- Often times, warts become visible in a cluster or a group. Whenever it comes to corn, they occur singly but it is found in various parts of the feet.
- The warts are considered to be dry and the surface is crusty with the presence of black dots on the top whereas the appearance of the corn will be possibly firm and thickened surface with the absence of any sorts of black dots.
- These warts are infectious i.e. they are passed if you consider walking barefoot on particular surfaces such as showers as well as swimming pools. HPV or Human Papilloma Virus is such a virus that causes warts. So, direct contact with this virus is involved in causing warts.
- When it comes to corns, they are not specifically infectious. Also, they mainly occur when pressure is experienced in the bone by a sandal or shoe. This kind of pressure leads to the thickening of the skin which makes that particular surface firm.
The corns are the thick and hardened skin area. But, these are non-contagious and it can be painful and so, this can cause discomfort.
In 2 to 3 weeks, the appeared corns get reduced by themselves with a reduction in pressure. But, this will re-appear in case your feet endure pressure from the tight fitted sandals or shoes. These appear on the sides or top of your toe or foot. The cells on the area of that skin will die because of the intense pressure caused by sandals or shoes that causes corns.
So, the above discussed are some of the home remedies for corns. You will find all these effective and useful for the developed corns. In order to avoid them beforehand, you need to follow some preventive measures. But, this problem is not that serious to worry about as these corns can be reduced by reduced pressure.