Whooping cough is an extreme level of a common cold and cough. It is also known as “Pertussis” that causes infection in the airways of trachea and bronchi. It can be highly contagious bacterial infection if ignored and can also affect your daily lifestyle as well. This write up is discussing about the effective home remedies for whooping cough.
Being highly contagious, this disease spreads quickly through coughing and sneezing of infected patients. Small babies are considered to be more susceptible to whooping cough, but adults and teenagers can also get it. Though, symptoms take almost 7 to 10 days to appear with initial common cold, cough and low fever.
Let’s find out some natural ways to get rid of this irritating health condition.
Natural Home Remedies for Whooping Cough
Ginger – How it can Treat Coughing Spells?
Common cold and cough can turn into coughing spells if the initial symptoms are ignored. Fortunately, you have ginger having ability to treat whooping cough effectively. Ginger is a natural property which improves our immunity system that helps our body to fight against bacterial infections.
How to use ginger for whooping cough?
You can utilize ginger to treat cough in three different ways such as:
- Extract ginger juice and mix it with raw honey. Take this mixture for twice in a day.
- You can also mix ginger juice with onion juice and lemon juice.
- Alternatively, you can use ginger with boiled fenugreek seeds and raw honey.
Turmeric with Therapeutic Effect on Coughs
Another immune-boosting natural property having therapeutic effects on cough. It treats dry cough effectively, one of the main symptoms. Turmeric is a rich source of proteins, minerals, vitamin C and potassium. It calms the cellular activity and improves the body strength to fight against infections like whooping cough.
How to Use Turmeric for Cough?
Regular consumption of turmeric can make a big difference and make your child less prone to cough. To get most of it we can intake it in different ways such as:
- We can intake turmeric powder with raw honey.
- It can be taken with milk as well. However, we do not recommend it because Milk is considered to be one of the cough triggers.
- You can even buy turmeric capsules available in the market. However, expert advice is must for appropriate dosage.
Read Also – Health Benefits of Turmeric
Garlic – Natural Antibiotic for Pertussis Infection
Garlic has antiviral properties that protect us from this disturbing disease. It contains allicin which is known for anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic properties. The consumption of garlic syrup or paste two or three times a day can sooth your sore throat and calm cough immediately.
How to Make Garlic Syrup for Cough?
Garlic syrup is easy to make even at home. Here is the Garlic syrup recipe for whooping cough.
- 1 lb of garlic cloves
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of vinegar
- 4 – 1/2 cups of broth
- 6 and 3/4 cups of honey (It should be warmed at low heat)
Grind garlic cloves and add them together with water and vinegar. Keep the mixture in cheese cloth (you can even use linen or cotton and a sieve) for one day and let it soak till the pulp strained out through the wrapped cloth. Now, add honey in the same quantity as strained broth of garlic. Warm honey can add more potent, thus heat it at low temperature before mixing with the garlic broth. Do not heat garlic.
Hooray! Garlic Syrup is ready to drink. One tablespoon three or four times a day for adults and one teaspoon for 3 or four times a day for children is an advisable consumption.
Ajwain Oil (Oregano Oil) to Cure Cough
The rich content of phenolic acids and flavonoids make it an effective antioxidant property. Ajwain Oil has antiseptic qualities that cure stomach and respiratory infections.
How to Use Ajwain Oil for Cough?
You can use Ajwain Oil (Oregano Oil) for whooping cough in three different ways such as:
- Vapor treatment of Ajwaayen Oil (Oregano Oil) can help you to get instant relief from cough by braking up mucus.
- You can even mix Ajwain Oil (Oregano Oil) with olive oil, jojoba oil or almond oil and rub on the chest before you go for bed.
- You can even use Oregano Oil capsules with expert prescriptions.
Besides these, Tulsi (Basil Herbs), Calamus Herbs, Cinnamon and lemon can also help you to get rid of whooping cough naturally.
How to Manage with Coughing Spells (Whooping Cough)
Here are few tips to follow when you are taking whooping cough treatment.
- Get rest as possible as you can.
- Drink much amount of water, juices and soups.
- Eat small meals to avoid vomiting
- Try to keep the air clean around you
- If you are living with your family you should use mask to prevent the transmission.