Marma points are specific locations in your body where life energy exists. Moreover, marma therapy helps stimulate these spots effectively.
For many centuries, medical practitioners have always been mapping limbs, various organs, and emotions specific to certain points using marma therapy.
In Chinese medicine, these points are nothing but acupressure or acupuncture points. But, in Ayurveda, these are known as Marma points.
According to the realms of medicine, life energy concentrate on these points. Thus, releasing the energy helps heal the individual effectively. The focus lies on manipulating the prana or subtle energy.
Subsequently, therapists use marma points to enhance one’s blood circulation and relieve oneself from stiff muscles.
Moreover, a total of 107 marma points exist throughout the body. Each point has a purpose, especially when a therapy presses it with a finger. But, if the person is thinking about a remedy, the therapist uses oil to rub the area gently.
If you think about which type of oil is used, it depends on the dosha and the body’s constitution.
Most of the time, marma points are measured in ‘finger units’ or anguli. For instance, Hridaya, the marma point (around the heart) measures four anguli in size. The expert massages the area with sesame oil to improve blood circulation.
Marma Points of Ayurveda
Marma points always lead to a drastic transformation within the body. Since marma therapy brings effective results, pressing marma points gently can help cure a disease or an unstable emotion. Thus, it could only bring effective results if the therapist stimulated the marma points properly.
When undergoing marma therapy, you’ll release any energy block in your body.
Check out the location of every marma point on the palm and through the front, back and side view.
Marma Massage Steps
Before starting, sit upright without bending your spine. You can sit in front of the mirror to check out the posture and the position of the hands.
#Step 1. Once you’re relaxed, start from the third eye just above the nose bridge. While you exhale, press the area gently and count until seven. You then need to reduce the pressure, count 5 and inhale. Repeat this 7-5-7-5-7-5 approach thrice in one go.
#Step 2. After some time, you need to perceive a point above the eye. As you place the ring finger on the eyebrow point, you should keep the index finger on the hairline point and middle finger between them. Once you have positioned the fingers, you need to move with the 7-5-7-5-7-5 approach once again.
#Step 3. Now, with the help of the thumb, gently press the edge of the eyebrow sockets. At this step, slowly move upwards until your forehead’s skin shrinks. You need to be careful because the thumb shouldn’t slip from the position.
#Step 4. Moving ahead, you need to press the cheekbones located below the center of the eyes. To do this step, it’s always better to use your index finger.
#Step 5. Once you have located the marma point, press the area inwards and in the upward direction.
#Step 6. Now, use your third finger to press the outer edge of the nostril. At the same time, never forget to press your cheekbones once again.
#Step 7. A little later, bring all your fingers closer and press the region between the upper lip and the nose. You should also press the region below the lower lip as you follow the same procedure.
#Step 8. Afterward, the center of your chin should be pressed with the same 7-5-7-5-7-5 procedure.
#Step 9. Finally, you can pull certain sections of your hair and massage your head gently. Start combing your hair backward through straight and lengthy strokes.
Benefits of the Marma Therapy
Marma points can certainly help in revitalizing the mind, body and soul. You’ll feel relieved from a cluttered mind and emotion.
As the energy is released from the point, the massage aids in improving blood circulation. The person would also be able to connect with the mental and physical aspects of the body.
Marma massage is beneficial for people suffering from joint pain. So, if your joints are paining for a long time due to arthritis, then you can get relief through the massage.
Finally, since marma therapy is considered a self-healing process, you can always balance the doshas and stay healthy.
Marma Points for Pain Relief
- Shoulder pain. You must apply pressure to the Kshipra marma and Kurpara marma.
- Abdominal pain. Exert pressure to Kurpara marma and Urvi marma points.
- Chest pain. Apply the pressure to Kurpara, Urvi, and Ani marma.
- Neck pain. Apply pressure to the Ani, Kurpara, and Kshipara marma.
- Knee and leg pain. Exert gentle pressure to the Gulpha and Kshpira marma.
- Sciatic pain. Put pressure on Gulpha and Kshpira marma.
Marma Points for Body Improvement
- Metabolism. Rub the Kurcha marma gently.
- The flow of prana. Exert pressure on the Kurcha marma.
- Digestion. Apply gentle pressure to the Kurchashira marma.
- Reproductive system. Apply pressure to the Kurchashira marma.
- Reduce visceral fat. Put pressure on the Manibandha marma.
- Heart functions. Apply pressure to the Kshipra marma.
- Lung functions. Pressure should be applied to the Talahridaya marma.
- Visual acuity. Rub the Kurcha marma gently.
- Muscle strength. Press the Kurchashira marma gently.
- Bones and joints. The pressure needs to be applied to the Manibandha marma.
- Lymphatic system. Apply pressure to the Kshipra marma.
- Healing energy. Pressure should be applied to the Talahridaya marma.
- Immune system. Apply pressure to the Talahridaya marma.
Hope you have learned about marma points and the massage you can always opt for. Spread the words over social media and make it even louder for better awareness.