Ayurveda is amongst the oldest forms of medicine. It is said to have originated some 5,000 years ago that provides herbal healings derived from the Hindu culture. Ayurveda is known for curing body ailments by harmonizing body, mind, and spirit. It generally targets the three types of life forces (commonly known as doshas) that are said to trigger ailments in the human body.
The three types of doshas are Vata dosha, Pitta dosha, and Kapha dosha. In Ayurveda, it is believed that seasons also play an important role in triggering doshas, for example- Kapha is common in the spring, Pitta in winters, while Vata in summers.
Panchakarma is a Sanskrit word, which means, “five treatments”. It is a preventive and curative therapy.
Ayurveda uses Panchakarma to eliminate all the toxins from the body and make it free of all the doshas.
Vamana is a type of Panchakarma. Vamana is an Ayurvedic treatment for the Kapha dosha.
The excess of Kapha dosha causes diseases like bronchial asthma, herpes zoster, rhinitis, chronic colds, etc. and therefore, its important to eliminate it from the body.
Procedure of Vamana
Vamana is a medicated emesis that uses the oral route to eliminate the excess toxins from the body, using therapeutic vomiting. The Vamana therapy is done on an empty stomach, early in the morning. The process includes the following steps-
- A night before the Vamana therapy, the patient is fed with Kapha stimulating foods (banana, yogurt, etc.) and herbs, in order to eliminate the dosha completely and forcefully out of the body.
- Before the therapy begins, the patient is given a light oil massage and a hot water shower to increase the body temperature.
- 1 ½ cup of porridge, made of wheat and milk is given to the patient for starters, followed by ½ teaspoon of emesis stimulating herb.
- Further the patient is asked to consume licorice tea, as much as possible. Licorice induces the patient to vomit a few times, emptying the stomach.
- After the therapy, the patient is asked to rest for a while and avoid consuming heavy food items.
Licorice collects all the toxics and drives out all the impurities through the mouth. It not only empties the stomach but also clears the chest, making the patient feel lighter and breathe freely.
Benefits Vamana Therapy
Vamana therapy is very beneficial for people suffering various lung disorders. Some of these benefits are-
- Vamana therapy improves digestion and metabolism.
- It improves the appetite and promotes better voice.
- Lightens the chest and helps in breathing freely.
- It also improves strength and immunity.
- Vamana improves the sexual power and has also proven successful in improving fertility.
- Vamana therapy induces a mild change in the duration of sleep of the volunteers.
- Vamana therapy has a great effect on Asthma and other lung related disorders.
- It also helps in curing various skin related diseases like psoriasis.
- Vamana can cure sinuses, thus reducing congestion and breathlessness.
- This therapy can also help in reducing cholesterol and body weight.
Vamana therapy has done wonders for many sufferers, however, it still has its share of contraindications. Some of them are-
- Vamana therapy cannot be used for children under 12 years and adults above 65 years of age.
- It cannot be used on pregnant women.
- Vamana is not suggested for people with metabolic disorders (like Diabetes).
- People suffering with nasal bleeding should not opt for the vamana therapy.
- It is also not suggested for someone with a tumor in the abdomen.
- Vamana is not meant for people with weak heart or heart diseases.
- Someone suffering with fever should also not be subjected to the vamana therapy.
Vamana therapy (Therapeutic Vomiting) is a very effective and powerful ayurvedic treatment. The treatment varies from person to person and is only done after proper observations made on each and every stage. The Vamana therapy has gained a steady popularity these days, subject to its effectiveness. You can talk to various doctors and can also go through the abundant information available about the same.
Hardip Koradia is a pro health blogger with years of experience in writing resourceful articles on different health topics like alternative health, natural health, home remedies, yoga, diet, etc. His passion for health inspired him to start AyurHealthTips, a growing health blog.